The inhospitable river Ebro
The construction in 1967 of the dam in Ribarroja had the consequence that villages of Mequinenza and Fayón would be flooded under water.
Leaving the river Matarraña we have the chance to see an unknown Ebro and touc the church tower that still stands in the waters under the watchful eye of the new village church Fayón, up there on the hill.
The fact of navigating a swamp, makes easier the technical difficulty of this route and suitable for everyone. The Ebro rarely has current in here, sailing by canoes in the Ebro is a relaxing experience.
Fayón is located between Mequinenza and Ribarroja de Ebro. The mouth of Matarraña is the administrative border between Catalonia and Aragon.
Although the current Fayón is located on the top of the mountain near the original town was built at the confluence of two rivers (Bugarreig). In fact, our starting point is the river Matarraña and “we leave” to the Ebro.
Once in the Ebro, we will see at the top of the chapel of St. George and from your kayak, which was at the time the top of the village. But what stands out is the church tower Baroque and Renaissance (XVI) which, over four decades later, is a silent witness of what was a tragedy for this town.
If you want to do the Pales de Sirga in a 5 days tour, this is the best starting point to reach the Mediterranean Sea.
About 2h to 2h 30′ depending on the pace.
The best from our canoe:
- The former Matarraña – Ebro Mouth
- “Bugarreig” Bluff
- Old railroad tunnel and bridge. Destroyed during the Spanish Civil War.
- Eagles and vultures
- Fayón sunken village and church tower (XVI) emerging.
- San Jorge Church at the top of the rock
- The vastness of the Ebro ….
- … And of course enjoy the silence as in few other places.
- Adults: 25 € Non-guided tours in low season: 20 €
- Children under 14 y.o: 20 €; Non-guided tour in low season: 15€
- Children under 8 y.o for free;
- High season: 15 jun to 15 sept. Low 16 sept to 14 jun
- Great discounts from 10 people or larger groups.
- Briefing into technical, security and touristic;
- Choice of single kayaks , double, triple or quadruple if you have children.
- Vests and paddles.
- Graduate and expert guides accompanying throughout the route.
- Transportation back to the starting point .
- Insurance and permits to operate.
- And an amazing experience suitable for all