Flix Meander at the river Ebro
The hug of the Ebro by kayaking
Some say that since the Ebro is born in Santander to the Sea, there is a village that the river itself chose to be quiet and contemplate slowly. The spectacular Flix meander of 5 km “embraces” Flix and is ideal for those starting out in the canoe in a beautiful natural road route.
The Flix Meander is the most spectacular in the Ebro river as pronounced curve describes the “flixancos” talk about the “The upper and the lower river”. It is at the highest point where you can admire the Flix castle (it worths a visit later). Also visible from our canoe the remains of the seventeenth century defensive system.
The Flix dam (1948) has made that the meander usually has a low flow, because water is mainly diverted to a hydroelectric plant. For us, who will go by canoe, it will be great because it leaves a stretch of less than 5 km. calm water ideal for our trip. In fact, it is likely that we find the Nautic Club Flix rowers, tradition in rowing with llaüt (traditional boat), which uses this privileged area as a training area.
The Flix meander is part of the Natural Wildlife Reserve Sebes and Flix Meander area. Sebes area is located upstream of the dam and has a museum about the “Cami de Sirga“, several lookouts for bird watching, an Iberian settlement in excavation and two flagship projects to reintroduce the white stork and grazing horses of the Camargue. Riverfront, a generator of life, human activity comes from immemorial time and along the meander, there are many interesting historical elements besides natural ones.
Right in the middle of the Meander, it is worth a visit a rural resort with 4 star hotel, hostel and even cottages with access to the river and environmentally friendly: Vilar Riu de Baix.
This route is usually offered without an accompanying guide in the water, but a full briefing beforehand. The duration is free: a whole morning or a whole afternoon as maximum.
The best from our canoe:
- Old ferry boat: In the catalan Ebro, there are only two old ferry boats remaining: the one in Miravet and this one.
- Last days of the Battle of the Ebro during the spanish Civil war: During this battle, an iron bridge was built and destroyed several times. The thing is that the last bombing of that bridge is considered the end of this bloody war.
- “New Castle”: Interesting during the “carlinas” wars. It worths a visit.
- Rocks. Several places to have a bath in the Ebro river and jump from the rocks.
- Hotel and hostel: Vilar Riu de Baix
- Iberic settlement: dated IX B.C.
- Little chanel plenty of vegetation.
- Recreative and forest area “Los Xops”.
- Meander Path. There is the possibility to walk around the meander by foot or by bike.
- Dock. Club Nautic Flix. You can visit the village. The castle; the air-raid shelter; ancient navigation museum; natural Reserve or ancient oil moulin.
- Children under 8 y.o for free;
- Children under 14 y.o: 12 €;
- Adults: 17 €
- Great discounts from 10 people groups or larger.
- Briefing into technical, security and touristic;
- Choice of single kayaks , double, triple or quadruple if you have children.
- Vests and paddles.
- Graduate and expert guides in the initial briefing.
- Insurance and permits to operate.
- And an amazing experience suitable for all